In this course we look at the things celebrities do and say and then we invite young adults (18-21 years of age) to respond. What is an intelligent Christian response? Each session has the following structure:
- Outline celebrity comments with appropriate storytelling.
- How do you respond? Your thoughts on Paris Hilton etc.
- What is an intelligent Christian response? Go beyond clichés.
- Time for debate and discussion.
This course helps young adults to understand celebrity culture and how to engage Christianly with it. We begin with celebrity culture because this is the world that many western people indwell. Many enjoy talking about Paris Hilton, Wayne Rooney and Russell Brand. It aims to bring the Bible alive for young adults who need more depth in the teaching/learning activities they receive. It nurtures Christian thinking about contemporary culture. What does it mean to follow Jesus in this social context? In four sessions (one hour each) we will work through the following celebrity ‘insights’. Hopefully the group will find other celebrity stories to discuss.
- “You can buy a woman for $10,000 and make your money back in a week if she is pretty and young. Then everything else is profit.” Tarzan, the celebrity trafficker
- “I stand for freedom of expression, doing what you believe in, and going after your dreams.” Madonna
- “Don’t you know who I am? I’m a millionaire. You’re not even in my league.” Marlon King
- “Blimey, that’s heavy. Are you Dr Phil? I think, just live in the moment. Don’t have regrets and enjoy yourself.” Shane Warne
- “You are a commodity and you can be treated in the most awful manner if they think it can help them in the slightest way.” Robbie Fowler
- “There’s a tyranny of choice, endless options. You buy loads of washing machines, cars, jeans – why not consume people in the same way?” Russell Brand
- “I’m not interested in being a role model for anybody else. Every man has his own life to live and every man should take his own path.” Tyson Fury (British boxer)
- “Players are pieces of meat – that is how I look at it. When your time’s up, your time’s up.” Roy Keane
- “I believe in fate. Sometimes things happen for a reason.” Roy Keane
- “Work is a necessary evil to be avoided.” Mark Twain
- “Curses can’t touch me because I wear my underwear inside out.” Adrian Mutu (Romanian footballer)
- “My biggest wish for all of us is that we are happy, successful and that we stay true to ourselves.” Victoria Beckham
- “No one can live without money. Money and religion are the big things, and that’s it, and I stay away from religion. We love to earn money, who doesn’t? It gets you things and it’s security.” Katie Price
- “So when you feel like hope is gone look inside you and be strong and you’ll finally see the truth that a hero lies in you.” Lyrics from Mariah Carey’s song Hero
- “Barbie is my role model. She might not do anything, but she looks good doing it.” Paris Hilton
- “I think it’s important for girls to be confident. Believe in yourself and… everybody’s hot.” Paris Hilton
- “I love Africa in general – South Africa and West Africa, they are both great countries.” Paris Hilton
- “I do transcendental meditation, which is, I suppose, derived from Vedic or Ayurvedic principles, which is sort of Hindu principles.” Russell Brand
- Albert Camus, Old Ladies, Human Rights and Newcastle United - October 15, 2021
- Kim Kardashian, Selfies and the Cult of Physical Perfection - September 22, 2021
- Buddhist Despair with Rampant Consumerism - August 10, 2021