I was very pleased with how the RealityBites sixth form conference went down yesterday at Emmanuel College in Gateshead. There were about 150 students from two schools present and for the first time I presented two RealityBites talks. I spoke about Celebrity Culture, Human Trafficking and Responsible Citizenship before lunch and then I delivered the Mafia, British Values and Evil talk after lunch.
I was delighted that my stories about Jimmy ‘the weasel’ Fratianno, Giovanni ‘the pig’ Brusca, Toto ‘the beast’ Riina and Frank Sinatra captivated their imaginations. They were paying close attention when I challenged them to tell me how much a Mafia hitman charged for a murder in 2014 (£17,500). It was even better when they listened very attentively to my outline of five ways of looking at evil and suffering:
1) Evil is caused by bad karma
2) Evil is an illusion because nothing exists
3) Evil doesn’t exist because everything is just physical
4) Evil has to exist because it comes from God
5) Evil is caused by human and angelic rebellion against God
In my talk I mentioned Glenn Hoddle, The Tibetan Book of the Dead, Richard Dawkins, Plotinus and CS Lewis. The questions they asked were fabulous and showed clearly how closely they had been listening.
I was particularly chuffed when one girl asked me how I understood evil. I was able to say quite a lot about the New Testament and Jesus. I even mentioned the devil and how this relates to bombers, terrorists and Mafia hitmen.
Thanks to everyone who prayed for me yesterday!
- Albert Camus, Old Ladies, Human Rights and Newcastle United - October 15, 2021
- Kim Kardashian, Selfies and the Cult of Physical Perfection - September 22, 2021
- Buddhist Despair with Rampant Consumerism - August 10, 2021