Recent comments

David Hanson on A poem for a new year (Tuesday 7th January 2020 3:58pm)

I agree, Mark. A moving stanza and challenging comment. And a very apposite picture; where is it - and whose is the silhouetted shadow?

Mark Roques on Superstition can lead to Murder (Tuesday 7th January 2020 9:56am)

Thanks Steve, Mark and Dave for your feedback. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this. Dave - excellent point about Galatians. I will go back and read Galatians 5!

Mark Roques on A poem for a new year (Monday 6th January 2020 10:15am)

Thanks Alicia for this poignant and edifying reflection. Very helpful!

Dave Hopwood on Superstition can lead to Murder (Thursday 2nd January 2020 12:10pm)

Thanks Mark, quite a post! Makes me think of myself and how easy at times it can be to give in to even the mildest superstitious ideas. I guess we can all be tempted to follow rituals. One of the things about following the invisible God is that we want to box our notions and ideas, make them into routines that can then become more important than God in our lives, draining the true life. I'm reminded of Paul writing that Jesus has set us free to be truly free. I need to go back to that again and again and again. It is for freedom, Paul wrote, that Jesus has set us free.

Cal Bailey on On the seventh day of Christmas (Wednesday 1st January 2020 6:55pm)

Hi Richard - agree. We're were at a party last night which tried to combine new friends, food, drink, party games and NY resolutions which I think a good idea for our inner transformation however hard they are to keep.
On another matter: I'm contemplating what it might mean to re-wild an upland estate - and wonder if your eco-system services might have something to contribute? Do let me know. Cal

Mark Y on Superstition can lead to Murder (Tuesday 31st December 2019 12:24pm)

Thank you for a thought-provoking post, Mark!

Steve Bishop on Superstition can lead to Murder (Tuesday 31st December 2019 12:15pm)

I'll resist the temptation to say this is a pile of s**t!
As ever, very insightful - thanks Mark

Steve Bishop on Student Ministry in Leeds (Sunday 29th December 2019 3:08pm)

This is brilliant mate - keep up the great work

Mark Roques on Everlasting Father (Saturday 28th December 2019 3:02pm)

Thanks for this excellent piece on Handel’s Messiah Georgina. I agree with Richard about heaven not being our home. I think it important to point out that Plato taught that humans have immortal souls and that these immortal souls belong in heaven. Plato says this very clearly in his dialogue Timaeus. This perspective is shaped by the Orphic Myth which presents heaven as ‘our home’ whereas Genesis presents the earth as the human ‘home’. I think it is also worth pointing out that Aquinas argued that the belief in the soul’s immortality leads to the inquisition.

Georgina Bartlett on Everlasting Father (Tuesday 3rd December 2019 9:45am)

I agree Richard! I love the 1 Corinthians 15:45 passage you alluded to that says 'When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: "Death has been swallowed up in victory." (NIV) I think what I meant by 'heavenly home' is the home God has prepared for us to dwell with him - which will be our new earth, where things don't fall apart or fade (or change for the worse!)