Thanks so much to the Light Church in Bradford which invited me to speak about Celebrity Culture, Discipleship and Evangelism at their Café Theology. Gareth Jones was a superb Master of Ceremonies. I love working with ‘Taffy’. About fifty people attended and we got some great feedback.
Gareth and I believe that the discipleship of young people must connect to our contemporary culture and its distinctive idolatry. The western religion mugs us on a daily basis with a false gospel. It proclaims that physical nature is all there is and enjoying material possessions is all that matters. In this social context we argue the following:
- Disciples should be able to compare and contrast the western religion with the teaching of Jesus.
- Disciples should be able to ask great questions about the western religion.
- Disciples should know about inspiring role models who are resisting the western religion.
In short, we tell dramatic stories and we ask questions before we talk about God and His kingdom.
In conclusion I explained how Gareth and I used this approach in a successful outreach event to homeless men in Leeds. RealityBites is touching lives!
- Albert Camus, Old Ladies, Human Rights and Newcastle United - October 15, 2021
- Kim Kardashian, Selfies and the Cult of Physical Perfection - September 22, 2021
- Buddhist Despair with Rampant Consumerism - August 10, 2021