Simeon Stylites was a laugh a minute. He lived 37 years on a sixty foot pillar 1400 years ago! He wanted to be spiritual and get closer to God! Unfortunately the hermit had misunderstood the message of the Bible! He believed that the earth and the body were evil and to be shunned. One day a fly landed on one of his pus-filled wounds caused by the inclement weather. He spoke to the fly thus: “Eat what God has given you.” He inspired thousands of people to follow his ‘pillar’ lifestyle. There are four ways of looking at this story.
- Simeon! Come down from your pillar and have a beer!
- Simeon! I so admire your authentic faith…
- Simeon! Too easy mate. Why not find a taller pillar and suffer a bit more?
- Simeon! Your body is a gift from God. You are living in the wrong story. Read the book of Ephesians and find out about God’s grace.
- Albert Camus, Old Ladies, Human Rights and Newcastle United - October 15, 2021
- Kim Kardashian, Selfies and the Cult of Physical Perfection - September 22, 2021
- Buddhist Despair with Rampant Consumerism - August 10, 2021